We have two music schools with eight teaching rooms. Most rooms have white boards, but they didn’t have the look I wanted when we started remodeling the rooms, so I started looking into making my own chalkboard paint to paint entire walls (after pricing a quart of chalkboard paint at $25). This cost about the same for a whole gallon.
- Latex paint of any colour (I got eggshell, but flat would be nice!)
- Unsanded Grout to match the colour you choose
- A container to mix the paint and grout in
- A lot of enegery to mix it for a very long time to get the chunks out (or an electric mixer)
- A sponge roller and brush for the edges
Mix 1 tbsp grout to 2 cups of paint. Stir, stir, stir and paint!! That easy 🙂 I needed three coats to cover, but it looks amazing.
One thing I should mention is that it thickens pretty quick, so I used a fan to dry it as fast as possible in between coats.
After it has dried for a couple days, cure it by covering the whole thing in chalk (using the side of a piece of chalk) and then wash it off with a damp rag. Now you are ready to doodle, decorate or do whatever you want with it!